Programme week commencing 17th May 2012[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhcsPnVeuw&w=420&h=315]
The charter presentation meeting is one of the most memorable events in the history of a Rotary Club, so for those who can’t come in person, we have published the order of proceedings here this week. During the actual Charter Event we will ensure we are logged into the website, so either before or during you might like to take part by putting a comment on this post.
The District Governor will give a Rotary address, we will video parts of this and again post it later within this programme.
The charter for our new eClub, is signed by both the president of Rotary International and RIBI and bearing the official seal, the district governor of District 1100 and the RIBI Secretary/CEO will also have signed it. After it has been presented to the eClub we will scan it and display it some where on the website.
There was a really good buzz yesterday at the Charter Event, our Certificate was presented and we have now hung it on our website under eClub Structure, here it is displayed as well, we just need to track down the District Governor Martin Greaves to remind him to sign it.
What was lovely was the different age groups present, the Rotarians from different Rotary Clubs, guests and friends, all enjoying the natural environment of Slimbridge and the birds that know it as home. The discussions about what we are going to do in the future from virtual Balloon or Mice Races, to picnics at National Trust properties, to maybe a Farm Walk, plus visiting Gloucester City Farm, yes District 1100 eClub is full steam ahead.
District Governor Martin gave an excellent welcome speech to Rotary International his message highlighted “However much you put into Rotary is what you will get out of it” (see video below). He stressed the Business aspect of Rotary, how he has made so many friends and the help Rotary gives to communities in the UK and Internationally. He gave examples of Rotary moments he had experienced. If you have time do listen to Martin as he has some wise words.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptXYKfaIBJc]
President Tim gave the response highlights of his message are:-
- Next year’s Rotary Theme is Peace through Service
- The story of how an idea / dream came to reality today in the Charter Event
- The eClub needs to continue the membership drive, his vision is 100 members, we want people really enthusiastic to join
- Telling people about Rotary and what it does is going to be really important
- Key things next year are Going for Gold, making sure we meet our Customers’ needs and above all working in Partnership with other Rotary Clubs in the District
- Plus he mentioned some of his Rotary moments, meeting Mickey last year at Disneyland as a guest of Orange County Rotary Club, dressing as Andy Pandy to play cricket on New Year’s Day…
- Finally he wanted to encourage Out of the Box Thinking and described how his view of geese flying didn’t fit the norm!
It was with great pleasure that he presented a cheque for £225 for the Eradication of Polio Fund to Jill Johnston, the money raised at Christmas 2011, by the District 1100 eClub in the Outlet Shopping Centre, Swindon.
Finally thank you to District 1100 for giving the gifts of the Presidents, Senior Vice President and Junior Vice President Jewels of Office and for the Rotary Club of Stonehouse kind gift of £50 for Collecting Boxes. Thank you to everyone who sent messages and came to the event, it was fantastic.